Q: My Dealer just charged me $330...Is that a little bit too much? 210 Routan Oxygen Sensor

I was given a price of $4000 to install a blown engine with 48,000 miles on the car. I'm a second owner. The engine going back in has 40,000 on it, so I was satisfied to get an 18,000mi guarantee. I just received a call from the dealer estimating the extra cost of $330 for an Oxygen sensor. I had no idea that they were so expensive. I'm a retired Diesel engine rebuilder going into my 79th year. (Macks, Detroit, Cummuns...Even did a few Mercedes.. Many thx for your time. George E. Hartman USAF (ret)

Good morning sir. First off, thank you for your service to our country. Second, in regards to the O2 sensor, OEM parts from the dealership are typically "upcharged" about 200 to 300%, so it’s not surprising that they charged that much for this component. The problem with aftermarket parts; especially emissions system components like the O2 sensors, is they tend to have communication difficulty with today’s modern ECU’s. This is why most mechanics recommend OEM replacement parts be used for all sensors. Thank you for writing in today. Please let us know if we can further assist in the future.

• My Dealer just charged me $330...Is that a little bit too much? 210 Routan Oxygen Sensor