Q: My Chevy is excessively cranking.

I am a college student and 3 days a week I have a class that I have to go to in the late morning. The first time I start my pickup it usually starts fine without a problem. 9/10 times it starts fine with a cold start. Then after my hour long class, I get in to start it. It will crank for an excessively long time before it finally fires up (Probably anywhere from 5-8 seconds). If I go get some fuel for example and my pickup is not running for maybe 5 minutes but is already warmed up, it will start fine. So it has to sit for a while for this to happen. It has cranked excessively on a cold start a couple of times, but most often it is after it is warmed up and sits for a while. Could it be the fuel pump? I am guessing it has something to do with the fuel delivery. Any advice would be great.

A: Fuel pump is a possibility but a coolant te...

Fuel pump is a possibility but a coolant temperature sensor is also a possibility. The fuel system pressure should be checked/compared to Chevy specs. You should see 40-45 psi in the line even after sitting for minutes or hours. Any lower, then the check valve in the pump is allowing pressure to bleed back to the tank.

Next time you go back to the truck after class, try this: Turn the key on and off 2 or 3 times, THEN try to start it. If it starts right up, then you know for sure that fuel pressure is your problem.

If you need help with these checks or decide to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose your starting issue firsthand and help you repair it as necessary.