Q: my check engine light is on

okay so I have a Toyota corolla 03 and the starter went bad and we usually get her to start by a light tap with a brass hammer on the starter but now it is too hung up and will not turn over and my check engine light never cut on until right before it stoped turning on with a tap of the brass hammer also my exhaust is sort of hanging side ways I was told it could be bad back flow sensor because before the car started and drove great even with a hung up starter

Hi there. Your starter has failed, plain and simple. The internal contacts, solenoid, or both have failed/worn out and needs to be replaced. Tapping on the starter such as you have will not set a check engine light. A fault detected in a system that sets a code is what turns on the check engine light. This code is not a diagnosis, but rather a lead into the direction of the system that has the fault. A proper diagnosis is definitely needed to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Also, this vehicle does not have a backpressure sensor for the exhaust. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians that can assist you with a check engine light inspection and a starter replacement.

3. my check engine light is on