Q: Car does not start

My car would start after i only after i jumped it so i put a brand new battery in it but now will not start .the instrument panel and all other lights work accept the raido work but the engine wont turn over....

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a bad starter relay or potentially a bad starter solenoid. If the car makes a clicking sound when you turn the key, this is an indication of a faulty starter solenoid. If there is no sound when turning the key, it may be a faulty stater relay. The starter relay directs power from the battery to the starter solenoid which then engages the starter when you turn the key. When this is not working properly, you may notice intermittent starting problems including no response when turning the key to start. Generally, when this does fail, it does so very randomly and usually without warning other than intermittent starting. The power from the battery will still power other accessories such as radio, horn, etc., but you may not have any power to the starter.

The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.