Q: My car wont crank, i think the starter is gone but i dont know for sure

Hello, i try to turn my car over and nothing no engine noise or anything, the only thing that i can think of is the starter is gone, but i dont wanna replace it without knowing other options

A: You could be right, that the car needs a st...

You could be right, that the car needs a starter, but it could also be a number of other issues. First,the battery voltage has to be sufficient to engage the starter. If the voltage is low, you might hear the starter turn slowly, or it may not engage at all. Second, many manual transmission cars have a clutch switch to keep you from cranking the car unless your foot is on the clutch pedal. That switch may be bad or out of adjustment. Or the carpet might be bunched up under the pedal, preventing you from pushing it down far enough. Other possibilities include a bad starter relay or a failed ignition switch. A proper troubleshoot would begin with a multi meter to measure the voltage reaching the starter solenoid terminal 50 and work back to the ignition switch. If you contact Your Mechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to diagnose the car right on the spot and tell you what you need to do next.