Q: My car won't start

When I try to start my car, the engine briefly makes noise, the tachometer revs up to about 1000, and then the car makes an ugly sounding noise and then stops. It has been working fine until now. The other day I returned home, put in park, and then when I went to drive again a few hours later, the issue occurred. I tried jumping it but that didn't work. The gas tank is half full. I don't need an oil change for another 7,000 miles. What could this be?

A: If you just had the oil and filter changed ...

If you just had the oil and filter changed then check to make sure the oil is full and did not leak out. The engine will not start if the engine does not have oil pressure or something is broken in the engine. Check the oil level on the dash to see it is full before going any further. Look under the hood at the oil filter housing and under the vehicle for any leaking oil. I suggest having a mechanic take a look. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can diagnose why your car is stalling.