Q: My car won't start up - 1998 Dodge Ram 1500

Whenever I go to start it up it keeps acting like it wants to start but immediately dies out after I stop turning the key

A: Hi there. In most cases, when a motor is st...

Hi there. In most cases, when a motor is struggling to fire up, it’s typically caused by a fuel/air mixture issue or an ignition timing problem. When a professional mechanic tries to diagnose this type of problem, they usually start by downloading any existing error codes stored in the ECU.

Beyond that, inspecting parts like mass air flow sensors, EGR valve, crankshaft position sensors or even the fuel pump is the routine. The best advice we can offer is to have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home and perform an inspection to determine why the car is hard to start and suggest the necessary repairs.