Q: My car won't start. I looked under the car and the catalytic converter was smoking.

check engine light came on all of a sudden the it was putt putt i shut it off then tried to start it again and didnt start looked under my car and the converter was smoking....it is rusted there do i need a new converter?

Hello. The first task is to determine what problem codes there are since the Check Engine Light is on. Quite possibly, something has caused a "way too rich" fuel mixture, making the engine choke down and clogging the catalytic converter. You definitely want to resolve the problem before getting the catalytic converter hot with fuel in it - a fire will result.

I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is not starting and suggest the needed repairs.

3. My car won't start. I looked under the car and the catalytic converter was smoking.