Q: Q: My car won't start.

What's wrong with my car? The battery is slightly a year old, I bought it brand new last August... just fyi...

My car has no power unless connected to another car via jumper cables. Even while connected it doesn't fully crank.. it can run the a/c (sorta) and play music, all the lights work, but it won't start. As soon as the cables are disconnected the car dies. What's wrong.

It’s not unheard of for a new battery to fail, but it seems likely that the car’s charging system is not working. That should have lit up some warning lights long before it became enough of a problem to shut you down. You could try a slow charge on the battery to see if it will come up, an overnight charge with a 2-5 amp trickle charger is ideal. Then the battery can be tested. Once you are sure you have a good battery, weather it is the present one or a replacement, you can test the charging system. You may find that you have to replace the alternator. To get the facts I suggest you contact Your Mechanic to have the starting and charging system tested by a professional It can be done right there at your home.

3. Q: My car won't start.