Q: My car won't start anymore because the battery is dead.

My car would not start so I called AAA And they charged the battery and also told me that something is draining the battery but don't know what it is. No lights were on or nothing. My battery is extremely old and I know I need to replace it. Also I wonder if my trunk had something to do with it because my trunk will close but it won't lock so when I drive and I hit a bump my trunk flaps up and down . What could it be that's really draining my battery?

Hello, yes, something is draining your battery, and even a new battery won’t cure that. This problem can be diagnosed by connecting an ammeter to the positive (red) battery cable, observe the current drain, then, one at a time, remove each fuse, check to see if the current drain has dropped to near 0, then reinsert the fuse. This process should identify the faulty circuit in most cases.

A professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, can perform this procedure for you, and identify, replace/repair the failing component on that circuit. I would recommend having the dying battery inspected completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My car won't start anymore because the battery is dead.