Q: My car won't go up steep hills

My vehicle won't go up a steep hill. If i try it stops and starts to smell like gas. I have changed the spark plugs and put in a new air filter. I have also changed 7 of the 8 ignition coils. What do you recommend?

A: Hello. Going up a hill is considered "...

Hello. Going up a hill is considered "extra load" on the engine. Issues with handling this extra load are typically due to poor engine performance. Starting with the spark plugs was a good idea. When you change the ignition coils, always change all of them. Have you preformed a fuel pressure test? You may have too much, or too little fuel being pumped into the cylinders. Inspecting your pump, filter, and injectors would all be a good idea. Although no engine warning lights have illuminated, the computer may still have codes set that will help with diagnostics. Specifically if there is a sensor or electrical issue. You may want to have the vehicle scanned, which can be done at most auto parts stores.