Q: My car will not start, possible water damage from flooding

Ok so before i call my insurance company i wanted to know if i take my car to the mechanic.Basically i drive thru a flood but water didnt get in my car but my engine stalled nothing turned off.just the battery and oil light came on. I tried to turn it back on with some ones jumpers and it cranked but didnt turn on.what to do?

A: Hi there. I would really need to know for s...

Hi there. I would really need to know for sure what kind of car this is to be accurate in my assessment. With that being said, if water did not get inside of the car, the damage may not be too extensive.

If the electrical is turning on and the engine just won’t crank, then it can be as easy as a wet connection or a module that got water in it. This can be a very expensive repair depending on what is wrong. As for going to a mechanic directly, I would see what your insurance recommends since they will be taking care of this. Typically, these will end up at the dealer if there is module damage.

I recommend having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, determine why your car is not starting.