Q: My car will not start. Could it be the battery?

The check engine light came on shortly after buying it. I did not look right away. Now I turn the key and the lights come on. The radio d oes also. It didn't turn over. There is no clicking. One of the cables of the battery looks damaged. Once the car kept having to be jumped because it was loose. I got silver adjuster caps to go under the terminals. That helped.

I have seen the battery terminals connections cause a vehicle to have enough power to run accessories, but not crank the car over. You may want to start by cleaning the connection points. If that doesn’t help, I recommend having a mechanic come and diagnose the no-start condition for you and see if you have a bad battery, or terminals that need to be replaced. Once these items are checked, if there are any other underlying electrical issues the mechanic would be able to diagnose them. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can visit your home or office to inspect why your car isn’t starting.