Q: My car will not start.

While driving on the highway, my car acceleration started to decrease the speed and when I pressed on the gas it would make a clicking noise. I pulled my car over and stopped the whole car. Once I decided to start my car again it felt like it was going to start but it would never turn over. I thought I needed gas but that wasn't the problem. I got my battery and alternator checked at a local parts store and they both passed. Once I got my car towed home I tried to start it again and it was making the same noise when I would pressed on the gas. The sounds weee coming from the starter. Does this mean my problem is with my starter?

A: Hi there: If you're hearing a noise co...

Hi there:

If you're hearing a noise coming from the engine when you press the throttle, it's more likely an issue with the throttle cable, throttle control module or the throttle body that is causing the stalling and no starting problems. I wouldn't assume to think it's the starter, especially if your engine can crank over but simply won't start. To know for certain what's causing this issue you should have a mobile mechanic complete a car is hard to start inspection first.

A: Hello. The starter is doing its job. All it...

Hello. The starter is doing its job. All it is designed to do is crank over the engine, and once a compression cycle has started the engine gets itself going from there. The starting system then is completely useless to the vehicle until you turn the car off and need to restart it. The power loss you experienced is likely fuel or spark related. You may have had fuel available in the tank, but do you know for a fact it was pressurized enough to keep the engine going? These are typical symptoms of a failing fuel pump. You can hook up a gauge in-line after the fuel filter and crank the engine over to see what the available fuel pressure is. The second system that comes to mind is the ignition system and spark plugs. If the distributor or spark plugs have failed, you are likely to have similar symptoms. A failed ignition systems typically shudder, misfire, and act like they are "chugging" down the road. Your symptoms seem to be a smoother decrease in power which is likely fuel. Pressure test the system and check the fuel pump to start.