Q: My car was overheating, it stopped and will no longer start. I checked the oil and it doesn't look like chocolate milk. What else?

Car overheated so I stopped to add water. It never started back up after that. Was told it could be a head gasket but my oil doesn't look like chocolate milk. My car never smoked or any other sign of a head gasket besides fluid leakage.

Hi there. One of the biggest misconceptions about overheating is that a head gasket failure is the cause of overheating. This is generally a false statement. A blown head gasket is the result of an overheating problem. When the engine runs hot, it’s due to the cooling system either having issues properly circulating through the system, being low on coolant or cooling system components failing. In general, a damaged water pump, obstruction in the heater core or cooling lines or thermostat / radiator fan failure is the reason why an engine overheats initially. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mechanics come to your location and complete an overheating inspection to determine what is causing this problem - so that the source can be found and right repairs will be made.

3. My car was overheating, it stopped and will no longer start. I checked the oil and it doesn't look like chocolate milk. What else?