Q: My car starts, I can reverse but as soon as I put it in drive it shuts off

My car starts fine, it will go backwards in reverse, stay started in N but will shut straight off In drive

A: Hello. You may have a sticking torque conve...

Hello. You may have a sticking torque converter lockup clutch, or sticky solenoid for this hydraulic actuator. This would account for the "idles in Reverse, but not in Drive". A locked up converter doesn’t allow the engine to idle without the car moving forward. A dirty or malfunctioning idle air control valve would also cause poor idling or stalling, but in any gear. If you would like some help having this condition resolved, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose this stalling problem for you.