Q: My car starts fine but always like once a month it doesn't start it cranks ok but it will not start if I let it sit for 6 hours

My car starts right up most of the time but always like once a month it doesn't start it just cranks and cranks but it will not start if I let it sit for 6 hours and try again it will start what causes my problem

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like an ignition coil that may be failing. Ignition coils are prone to this type of erratic functioning or heat cycling when they are beginning to fail due to the temperature fluctuations under the hood which ultimately cause them to shut down causing the car to only run after cooling down for 30-40 minutes. Ignition coils are coated with a varnish-like insulation that becomes brittle over time after being stretched then contracted repeatedly The insulation develops small fractures that open when heated and close when cooled. When open, they allow shorting of coil windings and decrease or eliminate the coil’s ability to function. This process will repeat itself continuously until the coil ultimately fails completely and must be replaced. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your ignition system.

3. My car starts fine but always like once a month it doesn't start it cranks ok but it will not start if I let it sit for 6 hours