Q: My car started cutting out after driving for a little while?

My dad bought the car which had been sitting for about 9 months. Took it for a test drive and there was no problem. The after driving it for about 100 miles it started to cut out like crazy and the gas millage took a huge hit. It started getting about 20 when I know it should get around 30. So I was wondering what is the most likely problem with it.

Hi, thanks for writing in. If the car had been sitting for 9 months, there may be a good chance of it having something as simple as bad fuel or bad spark plugs. I would recommend starting with a basic tune up service changing spark plugs, air filter and running some fuel conditioner and injector cleaner through a tank of fuel. If this does not cure your problem, then start with checking things like throttle body sensors, mass airflow sensor, O2 sensors, etc. If there is a check engine light on, this may also be helpful as this will register certain fault codes in the computer which can be downloaded and interpreted for quicker diagnosis. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.