Q: My car overheats and I'm not sure if it's the sensor or it's actually overheating, I also can smell coolant

My car overheats mainly while I'm idle but will overheat as well if I'm under like 25 mph. I also can smell coolant when it does start to overheat and in not sure what the problem is. I recently had my radiator replaced but that didn't help. I'm not sure if it's my sensor either.

You can use an infrared thermometer to attempt to determine the actual operating temperature although if you detect the odor of coolant, the engine is likely too hot. Be sure not to drive the car if it is overheating because overheating can warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level, a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition, and exhaust blockages can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My car overheats and I'm not sure if it's the sensor or it's actually overheating, I also can smell coolant