Q: My car overheated last Sat. on the highway.

My car overheated on the highway last Sat. I checked the oil and it was fine. I let it cool down then drove it 10 miles to my house and parked it. 14 hours later I drove it and have been driving around town no problems. I do not need to get on the highway but I want to know about how long I can drive it until it starts overheating at a low speed. I have researched head gasket issues and I cannot figure out if it is a head gasket problem. It does not seem to me like I would be able to drive a car with a head gasket problem Help!!

Of course, be sure it is not just a temperature sender and/or gauge malfunction. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level, a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket or poor engine running condition can also cause overheating. To answer your question as to the likely course from here on out if you do nothing, that depends on exactly what the fault is. It is better to get it fixed particularly if the problem were to turn out to be as simple as a malfunctioning engine cooling thermostat. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.