Q: My car needs a new engine

My car has 110,000 miles on it, and it is going to need a new engine. Should I get a new engine? If I do, could I hope to drive it for another 5 years or more? Or am I better off selling it?

This would all depend on the condition of the rest of the vehicle and how many miles you drive per year. If you only drive 15k to 20k miles per year and have a brand new engine, this vehicle should last another 5 years considering that the transmission, brakes, suspension, and electrical system of the vehicle are all still in good working condition. This also does not include the possibility of getting into a car accident at any time. Other things to consider are if any money is still owed on the vehicle, what its current value is, and what the price of the new engine would be. These are all things to consider when deciding whether to salvage a vehicle or to just get rid of it and buy a new one.