Q: My car keeps stalling at a low RPM when letting off the gas.

I have tried replacing the fuel filter, air filter, and cleaned the intake as it had considerable carbon buildup in the mesh. I have received trouble codes from a code reader and they are: 26, 27, 28. Thank you

A: These codes are transmission codes having t...

These codes are transmission codes having to do with applying hydraulic pressures inside the transmission. When they malfunction, they can cause the transmission to engage at lower RPM’s which will cause the motor to die. If your lucky, you will be able to flush the transmission and maybe it will fix this. But most likely you will need a transmission solenoid replaced. Which one is what will decide how expensive it will be. Some are easy and others require the disassembly of the transmission.

With 176,000 miles, I would recommend a transmission rebuild if the transmission needs to be disassembled. You may need a rebuild anyhow. This will depend on the findings of the technician that looks at it. If your tight for money, it might be worth a try to have a transmission flush with a new transmission filter. You will want a transmission flush that uses a machine and not just draining the fluid in the pan. Draining the fluid in the pan only removes about half of the fluid. This will not suffice.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose your stalling issue and service your transmission fluid if necessary.

Good luck!