Q: When I put the charged battery in the car, the engine started and the vehicle moved with no key. Why?

I charge my battery and i was putting the battery back in my chevy i screwed the negative in first then the positive and thats when the car started to turn over and move forward. The car had no keys in the ignition.

Hi there. There is a short to the ignition switch in the steering column. The starter relay wires to the ignition switch may have shorted to the main power to the ignition switch. This would cause the engine to start with no key in the ignition switch. I recommend replacing the steering column actuator and also looking at the wiring under the steering column for any wires burned together. Fix any wires that are burned. Make sure that you have the battery disconnected before working on any wires. If you need further assistance with your vehicle starting without the ignition key, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. When I put the charged battery in the car, the engine started and the vehicle moved with no key. Why?