Q: My car is very hard to steer and turn

Hello there.

I want to ask , i recently just changed my steering rack (Used) and after i drove for a while , the turning is getting rough and rougher , i send back to the workshop where i installed , they said its normal since the used steering rack have never been used for quite sometime now , i have to use it more often to get the turning getting smoother. The rough turning is like 1 short turn it was normal but another short turn its rough , its like there is a lag between it.

Hope to hear from your advice :) Thank you so much

Their explanation makes no sense in connection with any conventional rack and pinion steering unit. Whatever part was installed, whether used, rebuilt, reconditioned, or brand new should be working properly from day one. Obviously, your unit is not working as intended and they gave you that excuse to buy time time and in the hope that whatever the as yet unidentified problem is "goes away". But, the problem is not going to go away. If there is ANY binding, roughness, jerking, excessive resistance, or the like in the steering system, at present, that is a serious problem and it is a safety concern because it involves the control of the vehicle. Most states have consumer protection for auto repairs. You should simply take the car back to the shop promptly and tell them you want the steering system to function as designed and as intended. Steering systems do NOT have a "break-in" period. I would not make any threats or otherwise mention that you will file a complaint ... you should simply tell them in unmistakable terms, that you do not buy their explanation, that there is no "break-in period," that is a safety issue and that it must be repaired as agreed. That should be sufficient. If you have further difficulty, or you perhaps just want YourMechanic to fix it (that is an option, but you already paid once for the repair, of course) feel free to contact us and we will fix it for you without any further nonsense or excuses.