Q: My car is stutter starting and vibrating

My car has been sitting in my garage for over 8 years. Two months ago i decided to start back driving it, in the 8 years its been sitting i never once started it up. I had to replace the fuel pump because the car would not start. The car started to stutter start one week after i had the fuel pump replace. I took my car to PEP BOYS three days ago they did a diagnostic and told me i needed a new fuel pump, fuel filter package, 3 step pro fuel PKG and pressure regulator. After paying $999.63 dollars two days later the car is still stutter starting and vibrating violently. Now they are telling me the fuel pump assembly is bad i don't know what to believe. I am starting to think they are replacing parts to see what part will fix the problem at my expense.

A: Hi there: Anytime a vehicle sits for exten...

Hi there:

Anytime a vehicle sits for extended periods of time, multiple components are compromised and may need to be replaced or properly serviced. However, what you just described in regards to the shop you took your Toyota is not uncommon. Most 'shops' (especially chains) complete repairs by throwing parts at them to see if it works. What should be done, and what we offer at YourMechanic.com is to complete a inspection first to determine what's causing these issues. If you're having problems starting the Toyota, have one of our mobile mechanics complete a car is hard to start inspection first. This initial inspection will save you time and money in the short and long term; and ensure you have the right parts and service completed to fix your vehicle's issues.