Q: My car is running a bit rough after jumping it off what can I do to fix it? 1998 Pontiac Bonneville

My car was running fine then I had to jump it off and now sounds rough when idoling and has a sluggish take off as well as shifting harder than usual.... What can I do

P. S. There is a funny smell also... Like when you turn the heat on in your house for the first time when winter starts

Hello - your symptoms suggest multiple possible problems from higher-mileage classic like your Bonneville. It’s possible that your engine has "jumped time", meaning that the timing gears and chain are sufficiently worn that the the timing chain jumped a tooth or two when you jump-started it. This would cause rough running and low power for sure, and is a chronic problem with higher mileage examples of this engine. Check your transmission fluid level and condition (pinkish and no burned smell is desired). Extended mileage is again a possible issue here - the transmission may simply be worn out. A leaking heater core would cause unusual smells in the passenger area. I recommend a rough running inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My car is running a bit rough after jumping it off what can I do to fix it? 1998 Pontiac Bonneville