Q: My car is rattling while accelerating

I have a 99 mustang cobra runs strong as it should. No smoke no warning lights on. Can crank let sit and idle all day long and no odd sounds at all. Only while going up the road when accelerate can hear it rattling/clinging noise. Sounds as if coming from both sides of engine. Jw if it's the timing chain guides or tentioner? Like I say sounds as should while idelling only hear noise while giving gas. Thanks for any help in advance..

A stretched timing chain, worn timing chain tensioner, or timing chain guides can cause a rattle. It would be heard more at the front of the engine. Besides a visual inspection or using a mechanic’s stethoscope to isolate the noise, a scan tool can be plugged into the diagnostic port to check the engine timing.

If there is too much fluctuation in the timing, that can be an indication of a timing chain issue. If the chain is stretched or the tensioner and/or guides are worn, the chain will move around too much and cause the timing to vary too much as well.

Other causes of an engine compartment rattle can be exhaust heat shields. Most heat shields are typically spot-welded together rather than bead-welded along entire seams. If spot-welds break or corrode, the separate pieces of the heat shields can rattle together.

If you’d like to have this fixed, have a certified technician check and isolate the engine rattle for you and help you fix it accordingly. Best of luck.

3. My car is rattling while accelerating