Q: My car is overheating. What's wrong with it?

My car started leaking from the coolant reservoir. I took it to a shop and they said I needed to replace the coolant reservoir...so I did. It still leaks. I put in a new thermostat but it still leaks. It's to the point where it no longer comes on. What is wrong with my car. It won't hold coolant. It smokes from under the hood and tailpipe.

There are a few different places at which the coolant may be leaking from. Check for leaks around the thermostat housing, the water pump, all coolant hoses going to and from the motor and back to the radiator. Any of these locations are places where the coolant may be leaking from. The leaking coolant will definitely be directly related to the engine overheating as you know. Due to the number of possible causes for this, I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle for leaks.

3. My car is overheating. What's wrong with it?