Q: My car is not getting power and it's hard to change gear from 2nd I think I need a new air filter.

My car is having a hard time switching gears and getting power. I think I need a new air filter or replace spark plugs.

A: Hi there. It is very possible that your veh...

Hi there. It is very possible that your vehicle needs a new air filter and spark plugs. When you inspect the spark plugs, take a good look at their wires. Are the boots and wires in good condition? It's also important to maintain the fuel system on your vehicle. You also should consider when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter. This is another component that will greatly restrict the flow of fuel to your engine and cause a loss of power. If there are any warning lights turned on, running a code scan on the vehicle may give you better information for diagnosis. If there was a problem with a sensor, it may have triggered a code in the computer. To have the fault(s) pinpointed, have a local expert, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the hard shifting and loss of power in order to have this corrected properly.