Q: Q: Misfire and rough idle

I ran out of gas in December and since then my car has been misfiring and has rough idle. It just failed emissions for readiness. I changed the spark plugs but it still has a rough idle.

Hi There, It sounds like the rough idle and misfire you are referring to may be a result of a fuel pump that may have been damaged as a result of running it out of fuel. As you may know, today’s fuel pumps require the fuel to keep them cool and lubricated. When the motor is run dry out of fuel, this can cause the fuel pump to heat up in excess of what it should potentially causing damage to the pump by overheating it. As a result, depending on the extent of the damage you may experience issues related to maintaining proper fuel pressure and fuel flow. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your fuel system.

3. Q: Misfire and rough idle