Q: My car is making a knocking noise, front left engine or axle.

My car started making light knocking or clicking noises when I would make left turns about 6 months ago. It has slowly gotten worse, and yet when I took it to a mechanic last month they looked at the the axle and tie rods and said there was nothing wrong. The noise became more frequent and even happened when I wasn't turning. It also sounded more like thumping. I did notice the other day that the oil was low so I topped it off and, maybe it's my imagination, the sound seems to have improved. It still makes the occasional clicking sound when I turn left. Could the low oil have caused the noise? I'm also curious if the mechanic I took it to was wrong about the tie rods. Any advice appreciated!

3. My car is making a knocking noise, front left engine or axle.