Q: My car has to be cranked two or three times before it starts. New spark plugs did not help.

My car has to be cranked 2-3 times before it will start. New plugs did not help. Fuel pressure has been checked. This car has been well maintained since new. This has been a problem for about 6 months. My mechanic has no idea what to try next.

Usually when it takes multiple times to ignite, it’s due to an obstruction of fuel or difficulty mixing the fuel / air correctly. I would have your mechanic inspect the mass air flow sensor, the EGR valve and the fuel injectors for excessive debris or carbon build-up.

• My car has to be cranked two or three times before it starts. New spark plugs did not help.