Q: My car has been leaking oil. my mechanic says that i can do a oil clean or a complete repair your recommendation

I go overseas many times a year so the car remains in the garage and my neighbour just uses it to take it for a round. This time a oil leak was noticed and the mechanic says he can do a oil clean or repair the whole thing he does not give a guarantee that it wont happen again and also the cost between a oil clean and repair is astronomical please advice what i should do it is a BMW 318 model 2002

A: Hello - as a fellow Bimmer owner, I am also...

Hello - as a fellow Bimmer owner, I am also offended at engines which leak. You don’t mention where the engine is leaking, and perhaps that is not clear. Most seals and gaskets on that engine aren’t too difficult to renew, although the rear main crankshaft seal requires either engine or transmission removal for access, so that could be expensive. Make sure all crankcase ventilation components (PCV valve, crankcase vent hoses, etc. are clear, so that excess pressure is not accumulating in the crankcase, as this will force oil to leak. It’s probably work doing an engine cleaning, then carefully watch to see where the oil leak originates. You can then make an informed decision as to cost/benefit for needed repairs. I would recommend having a Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.