Q: My car has an oil leak, my axle is hot, and there is shaking.

I recently got the passenger axle replaced, then an oil change. I now have an oil leak but can't see where so we raised it on the lift sprayed it off and noticed where the axle goes into the transmission was steaming as if it was really hot. Is it suppose to be hot? Since having the axle done my car shakes while driving I noticed my my tires are wearing out on the inside I know I didn't do an alignment but it goes down the road straight and I haven't been able to afford one yet. It also seems to be hard to handle and noisy as if something isn't right. My gas pedal and steering wheel and everything shakes. The front end sounds like it's clunky as it shakes. The steering wheel even sounds like it is loose everyone seems to think im just hyper sensitive and that there is nothing wrong with it. It's an acura tl it should be the smoothest car on the road. What can I check to determine the shake. Also should the axle be that hot. Is my new oil leak dangerous? Thank you

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The axle should not be very hot. The axle will have some heat transfer from the transmission, but not so hot to where you cannot touch it. Check the transmission oil level to make sure that the level is good. If you had an axle shaft replaced and now all of a sudden there is a bad shake in the vehicle, then there could be a problem with the lower ball joint or steering tie rod to that wheel.

Check the lower ball joint on the car for any looseness or any damage. Also, check the tie rod outer end that hooks up to the steering knuckle. Make sure that the tie rod end is not damaged. If you need assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect for the leak, determine the source of the heat on the axle, and suggest any needed repairs.