Q: My car has a manual shifter near the stearing wheel and started slipping into neutral during driving and i would have to bump it b

My car has a manual shifter near the stearing wheel and started slipping into neutral during driving and i would have to bump it back into drive what is this Symptom, whats causing this to happen?

it's a 307 oldsmobile motor..

Hi George. The only manually shifted column transmission I’m familiar with is the old "three on the tree". If this is what you have in the Fleetwood, then this type of symptom is typically caused by a damaged shift gate. It can also be due to in internal gear failure, but that’s a mechanical problem with the transmission as opposed to the shifting mechanism itself. Our site typically sticks to completing routine service and maintenance suggestions on modern cars, trucks and SUV’s sold in the US, so I think this inquiry is better suited for a performance shop - so they can provide you with a more accurate recommendation.

3. My car has a manual shifter near the stearing wheel and started slipping into neutral during driving and i would have to bump it b