Q: My car has a leak in the transmission fluid gasket

I recently took my car in for an oil change, and they found a minor leak in the transmission fluid gasket. My car has about 75,000 miles on it. The marked it as 'not needing immediate attention,' and said I can wait to fix it, but to keep an eye on it. Is this a problem that can be addressed later? If so, how long can I wait? I don't want it to become a more serious or expensive problem by waiting.

Hello, thanks for writing in. Whenever there is a fluid leak, there is always the possibility of doing damage to that component and making it into a far more expensive repair than it would have been to just fix the leak immediately. That said, it is also possible to have a very minor leak that you can just monitor and see if it gets worse. If you want to wait on doing the repair, I would suggest checking the transmission fluid level and adding it as necessary to keep it full until you decide to do the repair. This is not a permanent solution, and should only be done temporarily to save the transmission from damage while you wait to do the repair. If you would like a second opinion on your transmission fluid leak, you can contact the professionals at YourMechanic.

3. My car has a leak in the transmission fluid gasket