Q: My car engine starting time with a little bit of noise sounds like it came from crankcase. What's the best thing I can do to check?

hello..i have problem with my car its hundai terracan 2004 model,when i start the engine i feel sounds from somwhere little bit noisy,as i check the engine look like sound of fan came from crankcase rather engine also one thing if i reach 150rpm car is wild looks like angry.,can you please help me to find and solve this solution,thanks and advance,more power!!!!

A: Hi there. This sounds like a piston slap so...

Hi there. This sounds like a piston slap sound or a bearing sound. When the engine is cold, the piston skirt will be smaller than the cylinder bore and make the piston slap the cylinder wall until it get hot. The other thing could be a rod bearing that is worn making the bearing have too much clearance until the engine has met its oil pressure. Crank the engine over by hand and try to feel for a hesitation or a binding feeling, but don't get a binding feeling and compression mixed up.

A binding feeling will have a thud and may feel like a slight tap in the turn cycle. If so, then the rod bearings need replaced or the pistons need replaced. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help diagnose and resolve the noise on start up.