Q: my car dies randomly when driving. Why?

When driving my car dies randomly. It idles poorly and after driving it and shutting it off it takes five minutes to start sometimes. When I pushed on the gas it died but only once.

Hi there. There are several things that need to be checked to help identify why your car is stalling. You are either losing fuel pressure, the spark from the ignition system isn’t lighting the fuel, or there is lack of signal for the computer to fire a particular cylinder. It is possible that your fuel pump may be failing as well. This can be checked by hooking up a fuel gauge and driving the vehicle. If fuel pressure drops off as the engine stops, then there is a problem with the fuel pump. When the vehicle will not start, it needs to be confirmed that the spark plugs are firing. If they are not firing, it may mean that the ignition coil for the distributor has failed. It is also possible that the crankshaft position sensor may be bad, causing the car to not have spark as well. I would recommend getting an appointment with one of the mechanics at YourMechanic to come and perform these diagnostics on your vehicle and to fix your stalling problem.