Q: My car died. I'm worried I'll have to replace my engine.

I was driving down the highway and my oil pressure light came on. A few minutes later my car died. My passenger side tire is covered in oil and the edge of the hood on the same side is as well. Am I going to have to replace my engine?

Hi Emily. Thanks for contacting us tonight. If the engine stopped running and there is a lot of oil sprayed under the hood, then it’s likely that you’ve experienced a rather significant oil line or mechanical component failure. When the engine shuts down while it’s running, then it’s likely that the engine is seized - and would likely require replacement. It is also possible that the engine shut off due to an electrical problem that may have occurred when the oil sprayed under the hood. It’s hard to tell you whether or not replacement is 100% needed, so you might want to have a mobile mechanic come to your location to inspect the vehicle personally - so they can provide you with a good and more accurate recommendation.

3. My car died. I'm worried I'll have to replace my engine.