Q: My car died and won't start

Ok so I drove my car to work the other night and as soon as I got into the driveway my car died. The next day we attempted to jump it and nothing happened. We took the battery to get tested and the battery was good. When I turn the key I heard a click sound. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do! The starter acts like it wants to engage but doesn't have enough juice to do it. My starter isn't that old and my alternator has been charging my battery too high voltage! I'm gonna try to jump it again tomorrow but I'm needing advice on what to do. I don't want to buy something if I don't have to. I just want to figure out what's wrong and get my car moving! Help me plz!

It sounds like you may have two separate issues going on here. If your alternator is providing too much power to the battery, this is usually a sign of a bad voltage regulator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. A common sign of this is usually the acid inside the battery boiling causing the battery to swell. You may also smell a bit of smoke due to things potentially getting too hot. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all.

The clicking sound you are hearing when trying to start the car usually relates to either a weak battery that does not have enough power to turn the motor over or a faulty starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.