Q: Why is my car not starting ?

I was driving a couple nights ago. Shut my car to go in a store and when I returned the car would start only when I let off the key. So if I crank for 5 sec or 15 sec, car won't start until I let the key go. Scanned the car and didn't get any codes. Next morning my car wouldn't start at all. Cranks normally, not slow or sluggish but just wouldn't fire up. I tried jump starting, nope. Only cranks. I got compression in all cylinders. 125-130 all across. I got fuel. I hear the fuel pump prime and also checked the hose connecting into the fuel rail. Fuel is being delivered. I don't have spark in any of the cylinders. I didn't have any misfires prior to this issue. I changed the crankshaft position sensor but to no results. I don't know what else it could be and I don't want to keep guessing and checking. German car parts are pricey. Please help and thank you in advance.

A: Hi there. You are correct, parts are expens...

Hi there. You are correct, parts are expensive, and replacing components without diagnoses can be time consuming without resolution. Circuit tests need to be performed at the ignition coil(s) to determine whether there is power supplied and a signal for coil operation while the engine is turning over. The problem could be, a faulty ignition switch seeing the vehicle start upon release of the key, or a faulty ignition relay not providing power to the ignition coils. No codes stored by the ECM (engine control module) leads me to believe the computer is not recognizing the fault. Proper diagnoses should be performed to avoid unnecessary repairs. I recommend having your vehicle's no start be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.