Q: My car battery will not hold a charge

It started one day while driving, my battery light started to flicker in a very irregular way, shortly after the cars engine began to lose power and the accessories started to dim and stop working. Eventually the engine lost all power despite the car still being on. When I pulled over and shut the car off it would not restart and neither would any accessories. After getting the car jumped it very weakly got me home. I replaced the battery and the car seemed to run fine for a few days and then the problem reoccurred. I then replaced the alternator and jumped the battery, the car started and idled but at times the accessory lights would flicker and when I turned the headlights on it killed the car instantly, as if the key was turned to off. I am not sure where to check next, could bad terminals cause this issue?

Hello. This is likely related to a charging system problem. Since you have replaced the battery and the alternator, I would suggest checking the voltage regulator, which is a unit that monitors the voltage that the alternator provides to the battery when it is charging it. When this is not working properly, this can cause the battery to not charge at all or to be overcharged. Also, check the ground wire (black battery cable) opposite to the battery to be sure it is properly connected to the chassis of the vehicle. If you need any help, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and inspect why your battery will not hold a charge.

3. My car battery will not hold a charge