Q: My car accelerates too quickly when I apply throttle and I am receiving poor fuel economy numbers

When I apply throttle to my car the acceleration seems faster than what is safe I did not have this problem in the past with other cars. The engine also seems very loud when accelerating. My car is not very old (2015) and has low milage so I don't think anything can be wrong with the muffler. It seems that my fuel economy is also suffering. I do mixed city and highway driving and average around 16 MPG. My previous car did not have any of these issues and had a fuel economy of over 25 MPG.

The acceleration you are experiencing is normal. The car has a large, very powerful engine and was designed to reach 60 MPH in less than 4 seconds which is exceptional. The gas mileage you are reporting is at the lower end of the range reported for this vehicle but it is not extremely low. The EPA city rating is 18 MPG so you are about 10% below the city rating. You can maximize mileage by: keeping the tires adequately inflated; ensuring vehicle wheel alignment is correct; check for stuck brake caliper(s); maintain consistent vehicle speed; make sure engine temperature is in normal range and not too low due to a stuck open cooling system thermostat; and make sure there is no excess weight in vehicle. If mileage does not improve after verifying all of the foregoing, or if you simply want all the foregoing inspected, please request a vehicle fuel efficiency diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this issue investigated and resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you

• My car accelerates too quickly when I apply throttle and I am receiving poor fuel economy numbers