Q: My brother is wanting to buy a jeep that needs new headers is that the same as head gasket and will it be pricey

My brother is wanting to buy a used jeep that needs new headers is that a big important thing and is it the same as a head gasket i dont know much about cars or the parts please help

Hello there, the headers are also know as the exhaust manifold on a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. When headers need replaced it is usually due to exhaust leaks, and broken exhaust studs. While this is a bigger job, it is not uncommon. A head gasket repair is internal to the engine and a much bigger deal.

A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to perform a pre-purchase inspection before the vehicle is bought, this will find issues that would otherwise be overlooked and give you piece of mind when purchasing the vehicle. Otherwise, one of our mobile technicians can also assist you with the replacement of the exhaust manifold if your brother does go through with the purchase. Best of luck.

• My brother is wanting to buy a jeep that needs new headers is that the same as head gasket and will it be pricey