Q: My brakes don't work

About 3 weeks ago my trucks abs light came on. The first week was no problem, but then it started feeling like the longer I drove the harder it was for me to drive. That is it was almost as if when I used the brakes they did not fully release when I let go. The brake pedal would stay hard and I'd have to really push to stop. The night before I was going to take it to the shop, on my way home, the brakes had suddenly turned extra soft. So soft that after that point I didn't even feel safe driving down the street. I have bleed my brakes multiple times with no air comming through, I used the correct draining order and used both a partner and brake fluid change kit. Now I have no idea what to do, what could it possibly be?

A: Hey there. A soft brake pedal indicates a h...

Hey there. A soft brake pedal indicates a hydraulic issue in the brake system. The master cylinder can have a faulty primary seal internally that does not allow it to build proper pressure to operate the brakes in the correct manner. The seal between the master cylinder and the brake booster can also be at issue. Also, if the ABS light is on, there can be an internal hydraulic issue with the ABS pump. If it is not producing the proper pressure to failed seals or the pump motor itself, that can cause a soft brake pedal and the ABS fault light to come on. Have a certified technician inspect the low brake pedal condition as soon as possible as this is an unsafe condition to drive in.