Q: My BMW 328is 1999 cranks but won't start 1999 BMW 328is

My car overheated when the thermostat locked up. I changed that and put a new fuel pump in. It cranks but won't start

Sometimes you can overheat and get away with it, depending on how far the car was driven while it was too hot. If the car was driven hot until it shut off, you could have some serious engine damage. But don’t panic yet. It could also be any number of other issues. Your best bet is to have a professional take a look. By contacting Your Mechanic, you can have a technician come out to your home or office to ;check out your BMW’(https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection) and give you the whole story on what it will take to get you going again.

Hi there - quite often, an overheating episode with these engines causes a blown headgasket, and low compression. This is dependent on how long the engine was driven in an overheated state. Diagnosis at this point goes back to basics - do you have spark, fuel and enough compression to ignite the mixture? You mention that the fuel pump was changed - although not the symptoms that prompted that change. I would double check fuses, fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump (be sure it’s running when you go to start the engine) since this system was also worked on. For diagnostic assistance, I recommend a no start inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My BMW 328is 1999 cranks but won't start 1999 BMW 328is