Q: My battery died and my hood wouldnt open

I left my lights on, then my battery ended up dying. Now my hood wouldnt open.

A: If the hood will not open it is possible th...

If the hood will not open it is possible that the cable is broken that the lever is connected to. If this is the case, the trim around the hood lever would need to be removed and you would have to pull the cable with a pair of pliers.

If the cable is not broken from the lever, the latch on the front of the vehicle may not be lubricated well enough to move freely anymore. This may have caused it to jam. If this is the case, I would recommend having a friend help you by tapping firmly with the bottom of a closed fist against the hood right above where the latch is while the hood lever is being pulled. It is not necessary to use excessive force, just a firm tap should do the job.

If you’re unable to get it to work, you may have to have the vehicle inspected by a qualified professional, like one from YourMechanic, in order to determine the cause of the hood not opening and service your dead battery.