Q: My a/c was going from cold to warm and back to cold. Then went hot permanantely. The dealer looked at it and said the compressor i

My a/c was going from cold to warm then back to cold. Now it only blows warm air. The dealer looked at it and said the compressor is leaking oil but did not specify what it would take to fix it. What is your suggestion?

Hello. I suggest to ask the dealer staff to inform you why the compressor needs to be replaced. Ask them if the compressor is seized up, if it’s leaking oil around the main bearing shaft seal or just the compressor input and output seals. If the leak is coming from the input output seals then you will just have to replace the seals which are only a few dollars and you won’t have to replace the whole compressor. Only a locked up bearing,or leak from the main bearing will warrant the replacement of the AC compressor. The most common cause of an AC system beginning to fail is lack of freon. Being that you have a oil leak you’ll likely have little freon too. I suggest to repair the leak which’s likely a worn input output seal causing it, recharge the system and see if the AC system still has any identifiable leaks. Also please keep in mind that we have technicians here at YourMechanic who specialize in such diagnosis and repair.

3. My a/c was going from cold to warm and back to cold. Then went hot permanantely. The dealer looked at it and said the compressor i