Q: My 97 Suburban dials jump all over the place.

My oil pressure gauge will frequently drop to 0 and trigger the gauge light. It bounces all over, even sitting in park. I do not have an oil leak and the vehicle drives fine. My engine temp will crank all the way up to 210 or even bury the needle at 260 or wherever the high end is, even if I just started the truck and have driven it for two minutes. Obviously, the engine is still cold. Fuel gauge ticks back and forth like sloshing gas in the tank. I had a small shop take a look, assuming it was the instrument cluster. They believed it was as well, so I ordered a rebuilt instrument gauge cluster and installed it. I still see the same problems. What should I be looking at next? This is driving me nuts. Again, the vehicle drives fine. The gauge issues are all false.

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Sounds like that there is either a loose ground wire to the gauge cluster panel or the gauge cluster panel is shorting out. Look under the dash for any broken or loose wires. If there are no wires loose and all of the fuses are in good shape, then check the battery for a good charge. If the battery is under 12.4 volts, then I suggest charging it then rechecking the issue. If the battery is good, then I suggest replacing the gauge cluster panel. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to assist you with your vehicle.