Q: My 2003 VW GTI 1 won't start with new battery and also right after a jump and can driving it.

Car has a new battery. After doing a variety of repairs, the car was sitting for a while and may not had a charged battery. The car wouldnt start. I attached jumper cables to it and jumped it with my other car. It started right up. Drove it for a mile or 2 then parked and shut it off. I then locked it multiple times each time the horn got less and less until no noise or lights. Got in car to try and start again and there was a clicking under steering wheel for about 20 seconds then my dash clock and miles faded in and out. Tried to start again and it wouldnt crank at all. What could this be? If it was jumped and ran well it cant be fuel or oil related. Electrical somehow? Any suggestions?

When your battery is low there could be a problem with the alternator or there could be a parasitic load applied to the battery. Check the alternator for any loose wires and if the alternator has a burning smell. If the alternator looks fine and is working when the vehicle is jumped, then there could be a parasitic draw on the battery. To check this condition, charge up the battery and then when the battery is installed remove the negative battery cable (-) from the battery and put a digital meter on the negative post and the negative cable. If there is a voltage present, then go in the cab with the key off and operate all the switches until the voltage drops to zero or near zero. Then that component will need to be repaired or replaced. If you need further assistance with your battery going dead, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• My 2003 VW GTI 1 won't start with new battery and also right after a jump and can driving it.